Further guidance on arrangements for practice learning will be sent to every agency booking places on the Programme but these are the most important points:
- Employers are responsible for arranging appropriate practice learning opportunities in accordance with the SSSC requirements for social work training. These will involve a minimum of 10 days’ preparation for practice at Stage Two and two 100-day practice learning opportunities at Stages Three and Four.
- Agencies need to provide a Practice Verifier at Stage Two to verify that the student has satisfactorily completed a minimum period of 10 days of preparation for practice. The verifier should be a qualified social worker or someone who holds an equivalent award, e.g. nurse, teacher, community worker or registered manager.
- The two 100-day periods of practice will take place between February and early August and will normally be undertaken four days a week.
- Workshops (for the second and third practice learning modules) can be counted towards the total of 100 practice days. Students who miss any workshops will be expected to make up the practice learning days.
- |t is desirable that there should be as much contrast as possible between the two practice learning opportunities in order to widen students’ learning experience. Students must work with two different service-user groups in different practice settings. One practice learning opportunity must include statutory tasks involving legal interventions and one must be outwith the student’s sponsoring agency.
- Employers must provide suitable supervision for students engaged in practice learning.
- Practice educators must have a social work qualification and hold a Practice Teaching Award or be working towards the PLQSS award at Level 10.
- The OU provides a practice learning guide for practice educators and link supervisors.
- All agencies providing practice learning opportunities are eligible for funding from the Scottish Social Services Council to help towards the cost.
- For placements brokered by Learning Network West (LNW), where they also contract an Independent Practice Assessor, a payment of £1,800 (per 100 day placement) in respect of a practice teaching fee will be made by the OU directly to the LNW rather than to the placement agency. All agencies in this position will be contacted by the LNW.
Minimum level of support required from employers
If you are not in relevant employment