Skip to content

Toggle service links

Minimum level of support required from employers

It is essential that students have the support of and submit their application through their employer. It is employers who are responsible for organising and supporting practice placements, including appointing Practice Educators, so this is a requirement regardless of whether the employer or the student is paying the tuition fees.

Many employers sponsor students and pay all fees throughout their studies. However, students on the social work programme in England can, if they meet the eligible criteria, apply to the Student Loan Company for a Tuition Fee Loan. Visit our Fees and funding page for further information.

It is also possible to study the first year of the degree without sponsorship. The place to start is with the Certificate in Health and Social Care (S31) which comprises the first module in the degree programme.

It is also possible to study the second module at Stage 1 (Foundations for social work practice, K113) and successfully completing both these modules will lead to the Certificate of Higher Education in Social Care (T39).

Both of these certificates can also be funded by a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet the eligibility criteria and can be undertaken without any commitment to a sponsoring arrangement.

*The open version has a different code but it is the same course as K113 and you will be able to count it towards the Social Work degree subject to your meeting the entry requirements and securing sponsorship from your employer.